The Relation of Female Characters to Nature in the Turkish Series Wounded Love (2016–2018): Ecofeminist Approaches
Keywords:1920s, liberation of Turkey, , Atatürk’s women as freedom fighters, ecofeminism, womanhood
This study analyzes the female characters and their relationship to nature in the Turkish series, entitled “You are my country” (“Vatanım Sensin” originally in Turkish) or “Wounded Love” (2016-2018) from an ecofeminist point of view. The Turkish and Greek mothers, daughters, and sisters try to unify their families after each attack in the series. Thus, their efforts will be analyzed within the framework of “Ecofeminism” as Turkey is a land linguistically feminized in Latin as “Turquia” with a female gender ending -a. The ecological metaphorical spaces associated with the images of Turkish and Greek women trying to preserve the family continuity during the liberation war of Turkey will be analyzed; such ecological spaces include the Aegean Sea, forests, and roads of Izmir, Ankara, and Salonica. Moreover, ecological metaphorical objects include flowers, trees, and animals. Illnesses, famines, plunders, and forced migrations are the main reasons for the losses of some family members; this study examines how these lost members get united through the metaphorical uses of the environmental spaces important for women, who try to keep the new Turkey free through their efforts in the 1920s within the framework of ecofeminism, a term coined by Françoise d’Eaubonne in 1974.
Anonymous. (2018, February 15). Latife Hanım kimdir? Hare Sürel Vatanım Sensin’de Latife Hanım’ı canlandıracak.... Milliyet. https://www.milliyet.com.tr/gundem/latife-hanim-kimdir-hare-surel-vatanim-sensinde-latife-hanimi-canlandiracak-2610520.
Aydoğan, M. (2014, May 15). 15 Mayıs İzmir’in İşgali ve Anadolu’da Yunan Vahşeti. https://www.guncelmeydan.com/pano/15-mayis-izmir-in-isgali-ve-anadolu-da-yunan-vahseti-metin-aydogan-t37309.html.
Benoist-Méchin, J. (1964). Le loup et le léopard: Mustapha Kémal ou la mort d’un empire. Paris: Albin-Michel.
Bishop, E. (2007). Gender. Encyclopedia of Environment and Society. Ed. Paul Robbins. pp. 731-734. Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore: Sage Publications.
Caarls, K., & de Valk, H. A. (2017). Regional Diffusion of Divorce in Turkey. European Journal of Population, 34(4), 609-636. doi:10.1007/s10680-017-9441-5.
d’Eaubonne, Françoise. 1974. Le féminisme ou la mort. Paris: P. Horay.
Enginün, İ. (1988). Adıvar, Halide Edip. Türkiye Diyanet Vakfı İslâm Ansiklopedisi, volume 1, pp. 376-377. https://islamansiklopedisi.org.tr/adivar-halide-edip.
Güvenatam, O. Taylan, Y. and Taylan D. (producers). (2016-2018). Vatanım Sensin [Television Series]. KanalD. https://www.kanald.com.tr/vatanim-sensin/bolumler. [You can visit the videos of the series on this page; I did not put any photos in my article due to copyright issues].
Haraway, D. (1985). A manifesto for Cyborgs: Science, technology, and socialist feminism in the 1980s. Socialist Review, 15, 65 – 107.
History of World War I & The Turkish War of Independence. (n.d.). https://www.ataturktoday.com/KurtulusSavasiWW1.htm.
Holy Bible, New International Version (1973–2011). Genesis. Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages. https://biblehub.com/niv/genesis/3.htm.
IMDb. (1990-2021). Vatanim Sensin (TV Series 2016–2018): Full Cast & Crew. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6132720/fullcredits.
Işık, G. (2017). Vatanım Sensin Dizisi Ve Hafızalarda Canlanan Bayrak Olayı. Erciyes İletişim Dergisi 5, 182-194.
Kocatürk, U. (1988). Atatürk’s Revolutions and Modernization. Atatürk Araştırma Merkezi Dergisi, 5(13), 107-126.
Köroğlu, V. (2009, December). Çevreci Atatürk. Cag University Journal of Social Sciences, 6(2), 57-69.
Leopold, A. (1949 ). A Sand County Almanac: and Sketches Here and There. New York: Oxford University Press.
Lixinski, L. (2014). Environment and war: lessons from international cultural law. In Rayfuse, R. War and the Environment: New Approaches to Protecting the Environment in Relation to Armed Conflict. Leiden: Brill Nijhoff, pp. 157-178.
Melikoğlu, B. (2009). Türkiye’de kurulan ilk hayvanları koruma derneğinin tarihsel gelişimi. Veteriner Hekimler Derneği Dergisi, 80(1), 37-44. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/vetheder/issue/34340/379352.
Merchant, C. (1989). The death of nature: women, ecology and the scientific revolution. New York: Harper SanFrancisco.
Odatv. (2017, November 2). İşte Genelkurmay belgelerinde Albay Cevdet. https://odatv.com/iste-genelkurmay-belgelerinde-albay-cevdet-0211171200.html.
Özer, S. (2013). Kadına Seçme ve Seçilme Hakkı Verilmesinin Türk Kamuoyundaki Yankıları. Atatürk Araştırma Merkezi Dergisi, 29(85), 131-168. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/aamd/issue/44059/542844.
Pogreba, D. (2014, July 27). Ecofeminism. http://debatenotes.pbworks.com/w/page/50870571/Ecofeminism.
Televizyongazetesi.com. (2017). Vatanım Sensin dizisindeki meşhur Eşref Paşa kimdir? https://televizyongazetesi.com/vatanim-sensin-dizisindeki-meshur-esref-pasa-kimdir/98568/3.
Televizyongazetesi.com. (2020). Vatanım Sensin | Konusu – Oyuncular – Fragmanlar – Bölümler – Video. https://televizyongazetesi.com/vatanim-sensin-konusu-oyuncular-fragmanlar-bolumler-video/1221119.
The Environment & Society Portal. (n.d.). Françoise d´Eaubonne’s Le Féminisme ou la Mort. http://www.environmentandsociety.org/tools/keywords/francoise-deaubonnes-le-feminisme-ou-la-mort.
Yu, M, and Lei, Yi. (2009). Ecofeminism: Intra-generational and Intergeneration Equity. In Environment and Development, Volume II, Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems, pp. 270-277. Eds. Teng Teng and Ding Yifan. Oxford, U.K.: Eolss Publishers Co. Ltd.
Zafer, S. (2019, September 3). Milli Mücadele’nin kadın kahramanı: Kara Fatma. Anadolu Ajansı. https://www.aa.com.tr/tr/yasam/milli-mucadelenin-kadin-kahramani-kara-fatma-/1571715.
Warren, K. J. (2015, April 27). Feminist Environmental Philosophy. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/feminism-environmental/.
White, L. (1967). The Historical Roots of Our Ecological Crisis. Science, 155, 1203–1207.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.