Inner and deeper: Motifs of fiction in Werner Herzog's films
Keywords:Werner Herzog, German Cinema, Motifs, Fiction, Ecstatic Truth
The emphasis on the mix of facts and inventions has prevailed in the studies about Bavarian director Werner Herzog’s treatment of fiction, leading to the same result again and again: for Herzog, poetic truth is more important than factual truth. But how can we go beyond this conclusion? This paper will try to open an alternative path of analysis more adequate to his philosophy of filmmaking, one that works through the detection of visual and narrative motifs in his films, thus searching the impact of Herzog’s idea of fiction into his poetics.
Adams, Phillip. 2011. “The Wrath of Herzog” The Australian. https://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/columnists/the-wrath-of-herzog/news-story/b7abbb95af8fc77c79bcea10fea9c97f
Argullol, Rafael. 1987. La atracción del abismo: un itinerario por el paisaje romántico. Barcelona.
Bachmann, Gideon. 1977. “The man on the volcano: a portrait of Werner Herzog” Film Quarterly. 31 (1): 2-10.
Balló, Jordi. 2000. Imatges del silenci: els motius visuals en el cinema. Barcelona.
Balló, Jordi and Alain Bergala (eds.). 2016. Motivos visuales del cine. Barcelona.
Becerra, Carmen. 1997. “La figura mítica de Lope de Aguirre en las versiones de W. Herzog y C. Saura” Hispanística XX, 15: 331-340. https://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/articulo?codigo=3609206
Casau, Gerard. 2014. “El gran éxtasis del escultor Steiner”. Dirigido por, 440: 74-75.
Corrigan, Timothy. 2013. The Films of Werner Herzog: Between Mirage and History. New York and London.
Cronin, Paul. 2002. Herzog on Herzog. London.
Deleuze, Gilles. 2014. La imagen-movimiento. Barcelona.
Elduque, Albert. 2013. “Los relieves del tiempo. La cueva de los sueños olvidados (Cave of forgotten dreams, Werner Herzog, 2011)” Filmhistoria 23 (2): 1-5. https://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/articulo?codigo=5368389
Frye, Northrop. 2005. Northrop Frye’s Writings on the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, vo.17. Toronto.
Herzog, Werner and Moira Weigel. 2010. “On the Absolute, the Sublime and the Ecstatic Truth” Arion: A Journal of Humanities and the Classics, Third Series, 17 (3):1-12. http://www.jstor.org/stable/40645998
Honour, Hugh. 1996. El Romanticismo. Salamanca.
Macnab, Geoffrey. 2008. “Wild white yonder” Sight & Sound, 18 (6): 20-22.
Johnson, Laurie Ruth. 2016. Forgotten Dreams: Revisiting Romanticism in the Cinema of Werner Herzog. Rochester.
Meltzer, Françoise. 2003. In Search of Nostalgia: Ruins. University of Chicago Humanities Day Keynote Address.
Otto, Rudolf. 1958. The idea of the Holy. Oxford.
Pérez Murillo, María Dolores. 2011. “Dos visiones de Lope de Aguirre a través del cine europeo: Werner Herzog y Carlos Saura” Trocadero, 23: 261-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.25267/Trocadero.2011.i23.14
Pintor, Ivan. 2007. “En los límites del vagabundo. Pervivencia del Nuevo Cine Alemán: Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog, Volker Schlöndorff” In Paisajes y figuras: perplejos. El Nuevo Cine Alemán (1962-1982), edited by J. E. Monterde and C. Losilla, 155-176. Valencia.
Prager, Brad. 2007. The cinema of Werner Herzog: Aesthetic Ecstasy and Truth. London.
Rossés, Montserrat. 1997. Nuevo cine alemán. Madrid.
Salvestroni, Simonetta. 2013. Il Cinema di Werner Herzog e la Germania. Kaspar Hauser, Herz aus Glas, Nosferatu, Woyzeck, Invincibile. Bologne.
Walton, Kendall. 1990. Mimesis as Make-Believe: On the Foundations of the Representational Arts. Cambridge.
Weinrichter, Antonio. 2007. Caminar sobre hielo y fuego. Los documentales de Werner Herzog. Madrid.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.